Monday, March 25, 2013

Recipe: Crock Pot Baby Back Ribs


I'm sure you all know by now that I have an obsession with my slow cooker. And I have good reason! The two burner stove in this hotel room just isn't going to work for me. And that's perfectly okay, because I could cook with my crock pot every night and be perfectly happy. My husband on the other hand, eh, not so much.

After eating ribs in Verona, I had a craving for them yesterday. I'd say the feeling was mutual with hubs as well. I, of course, got on pinterest to see what I could find as far as slow cooking ribs. Almost everything I found involved putting them on the grill at some point or another, and since I just couldn't do this, I just went all in with my crock pot. And I'm happy I did! 

Here's what you'll need for savory, tender, fall-off-the-bone baby back ribs:

1. *1-2 racks of baby back ribs *depending on how much you want to eat
2. 1 bottle of BBQ sauce, of your choice. *I'm starting the Paleo diet soon, so I chose a version without refined sugar/corn syrup. 
3. Cayenne Pepper 
4. Red pepper flakes *I chose a kind with garlic, as well.
5. Cajun seasoning (optional)

IMG_0747 IMG_0749

I try to keep things pretty simple when cooking meat in the slow cooker. I don't want to take away too much from the natural flavor of things. I tend to go a little heavy on the spices though. Being from Louisiana, it's just the natural way to cook things. 

Here's how to cook 'em:

1. Cover thawed ribs in spices. Add as much or as little of these as you like.
2. Place ribs in crock pot and coat evenly with half bottle of BBQ sauce.
3. Cook on medium for 3 hours. *If your crock pot doesn't have this setting, cook 4 hours on low.
4. Pour remainder of sauce on ribs, continue cooking for 1-2 hours(depending on heat setting.)
5. Eat these babies up!!!

IMG_0750 482031_10200754880451322_442581988_n Please excuse my messy plate and horrible quality iPhone photo!

I am so very proud of this dinner! I feel like it was very well balanced and extremely filling. This is what most of my recipes will look like once we start the Paleo diet. Meat, veggies, and no grains. I can't wait to start. 
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you decide to try it out, let me know how it goes for you! Let me know if you changed anything up as well! 

XOXO, 

Megan

1 comment: